Tuesday, August 2, 2011

144 ......

Have you every thought about how you can make your day good or bad by the attitude you take into it? Well, I am here to tell you you can.....especially in the work of service, and yes, nursing fits into that category! As do store clerks, waitresses, and many other professions! If I go to work with the attitude that I am going to have a bad day, I usually do, if I go into it with the attitude that I am going to have a good day, then I usually do regardless of how busy it gets. There is a prayer called the Serenity Prayer that goes like this:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.
One of my supervisors once said (to me because I was upset about something) "you can catch more flies with sugar than you can with vinegar"--that got me to thinking how what was happening was something I could not do anything about, and asking her for what I needed was the right thing to do even though there was nothing she could do to help me. I would just have to do the best I could with what I had and make due. The thing that got me was how I reacted to the situation directly influenced the people I was working with and others around, and how if my attitude was more positive, much would improve! She never said it in those words. From that day forward, I make an effort to start out each day with a positive attitude. I also find when I am around many negative individuals, it rubs off on those around. I don't want to be in that situation. I want things to be positive. Change is part of life and change in the medical world is part of our work life. Rules change and we have to be flexible with those changes, do what is best for our patients and if the "evidence" says something works better this way or that way and we opt to change our practice through policies and procedures, then that is how it should be. Period. And we must adapt, somewhat like the Borg from Star Trek. Resistance is futile. We must adapt our work lives and habits to service our patients to the best of our ability for their benefit. That is what I became a nurse for....to help patients back to a healthy state and that is what they pay me for. Period.

Enough of that soap box. I am still having a little trouble believing this is really August already! This year has flown by. I feel the older I get, the quicker the years pass. In all reality, that can not be you know, but it seems that way! It still takes 365 days for a year to pass and there are 24 hours in a day, but it does seem that way lol.

Notice that the days are getting shorter lol! They are you know.....a minute here and a minute there......sunrise a minute later each day or two and sunset a minute earlier each day or two....it will be dark until seven am before too long and dark by five pm before too long.....then CHRISTMAS!!

I love y'all!
To be continued..................

No comments:

Post a Comment