Tuesday, November 27, 2012

November 27 Happy Birthday Ricky

Rick and his 2 month old Tobers, Christmas Eve 2008. That was the night God promised her to me if I stayed with Him. He has surely tested my faith these past few years. I am trying hard Lord! She was Papaw's girl for sure! He loved her with all his heart!
I think this post will be about Rick. It is his birthday today. So, maybe time for a few funny stories. Many, many years ago we were home from Massachusetts for a few days. It was about 2 am and I was awakened by his scream. The bed had broken and we were on the floor. Now, we were both asleep, honest. My parents of course woke up with the scream then laughter. They got tickled and giggled and giggled. Wonder what they thought. They didn't buy the "we were asleep" line either. But we were. Hope that didn't make anyone blush from their dirty mind. HaHa.

Another funny one. jump ahead about 6 or seven years. Nick was about four. It was about 3 am, he had gotten up in the middle of the night and was in our bed between us. I didn't know he was there. Again, awakened by screams- blood curdling screams this time. He was screaming "something is biting me!" I looked and there  was a sleeping Nicholas Ryan latched on the the tender under arm area of Rick's left arm. He was biting so hard his little (yeah, right) head was moving back and forth. I woke him (wink, wink) and he said he was dreaming he was eating a chicken leg and couldn't get the meat off. He did appear to be asleep..... he didn't get in trouble because of that....

Easter Sunday one year we had a family dinner. I think I posted this one a few posts back. I had seasoned the tenderloin (he called it long-lean) with thyme and oregano spices before I roasted it. It was "resting" before I sliced it. He came through and asked me why I didn't clean the pork before I cooked it. Everyone laughed!

Jump ahead to just a few years ago July fourth at Sandy and Jerry's annual picnic/fireworks. We were inside eating and Rick wanted more coke. He picked up the coke bottle and it fell to the floor-- spilled probably more than half on the rug. I'm laughing. He's embarrassed, I'm not making it easy for him at all. He picks it right up and drops it again. More laughter. He looked dead at me and so seriously said it's not funny! in as mean of a voice as he could muster. Everyone was looking at him. He went to grab a towel, got a strawberry one. Sandy and I screamed no at the same time. More laughter and his look was so serious. He said, well give me something! I busted out again. Everyone then joined in, including him. It was so funny! Good memories with good friends.       

I have said it before and will say it again. I miss him so much, but I wouldn't have him back here to suffer for anything in this world and one reason is I know he is in a better place. He is not suffering. He is not struggling for each and every breath. And if you came to the hospital while he was there, you know more than not his last 6 weeks was spent struggling for his breath even with the sedation on. I would not wish that on anyone. He didn't want it either. I cherish the March 4 so much. It was the best day we had of his last six weeks. I had high hopes of getting to bring him home. God had other plans but He saw fit to give us that day. Good memories even in a dreadful time. There is always something to be thankful for. Always. Sometimes you just have to look. I am going to post the words to Rick's favorite song and direct you to the you tube site where you can hear it if you chose. Go to youtube and search Bird Youmans Winner Either Way. The URL follows. If it doesn't create a link when I save/post it, copy and paste it to your bar at the top it will take you there. Noots sang this at his bedside just before he died. He sang it at prayer meeting November 25 and it became Rick's testimony. He sang it for him one last time at his funeral. I still love the song and have a bit of a difficult time hearing it. But it is a blessing every time I hear it. This man does an excellent job singing it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm-kudJbst0

I love all y'all
To be continued...........

WINNER EITHER WAY 
1) A LOVED ONE KNEW HE'D REACHED THE END OF LIFE'S JOURNEY, BUT HE'D BEEN HOLDING TO GOD'S HAND A LONG, LONG TIME AND AS I KNELT BESIDE HIS BED, MY HEART WAS THRILLED AT WHAT HE SAID," IF I GO, OR IF I STAY, THE VICTORY IS MINE." 
2) NONE OF US REALLY KNOWS ABOUT TOMORROW, WE MUST PREPARE TO GO TO HEAVEN ANYDAY BUT WHILE WE'RE HERE LET'S TRUST THE LORD, HE'LL LEAD US SAFE TO OUR REWARD AND BY HIS GRACE, WE'LL BE A WINNER EITHER WAY 
CHORUS) I'M A WINNER EITHER WAY, IF I GO OR IF I STAY FOR I'LL STILL HAVE MY JESUS EACH PASSING DAY I'LL HAVE MY HEALING HERE BELOW, OR LIFE FOREVER IF I GO OH PRAISE THE LORD, I'M A WINNER EITHER WAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment