Thursday, November 10, 2011

Traditions!

Websters Dictionary defines "Tradition" as:

a : an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom)

Two weeks from to
day my family (all that are able to) will gather at my parents and celebrate Thanksgiving in the same way we have been celebrating it all my life. I wouldn't change a thing! I am blessed to have been born into the family that I was born into. I am blessed to have married into the family I married into as well. Their tradition is to gather together as well. I love my family and (unless I get call) I will be thinking of them on that special day. ALL OF THEM!

I will be working on Thanksgiving this year. That is, unless I get call. Two years ago, I was given call just after Rick was diagnosed with that tumor. It was our last Thanksgiving ever, and I will cherish it always. I am thankful for the traditions handed down to me as I grew up. I am thankful for the traditions upheld by Rick and I over the years, the ones handed down and the ones we established and grew as our marriage grew. He always said that the holidays were not as special to him as he saw they were to me. I was raised to respect those traditions. He saw that and honored it. He also insisted we establish a few of our own traditions as well. One of those is that on Christmas eve I always read the Christmas story from St. Luke in the Bible. Then we read "The Night Before Christmas", then bedtime for Santa to visit. I still found myself last year reading from St. Luke and reciting The Night Before Christmas to Tobi and Perry. And if no one is here this Christmas eve, I will read and recite to myself!

I love Thanksgiving. It was an important holiday to my Papaw James. When he was living, the tradition was for him to buy the turkey and the next day for my mom to make turkey salad from the left overs for him. I miss him! He passed away in November 1981--maybe the 22 I can't remember right now-- I miss him! Rick was in the room he died in for 5 weeks. It was difficult in more ways than one! My mamaw James also died in the ICU and when Rick had a bowel obstruction and emergency surgery in 1999, he was in the room she died in overnight. That was also in November 1994. Then Rick had the brain tumor diagnosed in 2009 in November. My first pregnancy loss was also in November 1986.

Enough sad memories!

Nick had his gallbladder out today. He is in quite a bit of pain, but that is to be expected. He had major surgery after all! He is in bed now, sleeping. He will be fine and I would love to tell y'all how blessed I feel after reading all the "likes", comments, posts and phone calls! We love all y'all!

Nick prior to going into surgery!
Nick getting ready to go home after surgery!
Looks a little different....


2 weeks until Thanksgiving!



44 days until Christmas Day!
Just in case you need updating.....

I love all y'all!!!!
To be continued.............


No comments:

Post a Comment