Friday, July 29, 2011

Loss is difficult!

148 I am reminding you how many days until Christmas........

Late last night after my "short post" I was made aware of the passing of a friend of Nick's. This is a great loss to the EC football family ECHS family in general, and I am sure it is an almost unbearable loss to his family. I don't know what I would do if either of my children or grandchildren were to pass on. Just the thought of it is nearly unbearable.

We have all suffered great loss over the years, grandparents, some have lost parents, sisters, brothers, husbands, wives, unborn babies, nieces, nephews, cousins, good friends......one thing I have learned is that each loss is unique! Each time we lose someone dear to us, it changes us. Our life is never the same after the loss. We never forget it, we just learn to deal with it in our own way. It has been 20 months since Rick's tumor was diagnosed. From that very day, I began trying to prepare for what was to come. I also tried to prepare others for that day. I knew from my experience as a nurse that the tumor he likely had was one that could not be cured. It could be (and was) removed and possible time bought with chemo (which the oncologist would not administer because of other reasons--and he said 6 weeks would be a long time....) and radiation. We knew that time was possible with radiation alone and he wanted to try it. Unfortunately, blood clots in the legs moving to the lungs are potential complications of cancer and little did we know at the time it would be massive clotting that would lead to his demise.

And there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about him. I can see him in the garden working, or hear the way he shuffled his feet when he walked across the hardwood floor, I listen late at night for the sound of the remote control hitting that same wood floor, I hear him say fix me something the way only he could......and I miss all that!

I am not trying to diminish his family's loss in any way! I am just trying to help someone who may read this to deal with their grief!

Jacob's family and friends will learn to deal with his absence. It will be so hard for them in the coming days, weeks and months. They will never forget him, and by the grace of God, they will come to terms with it and move on with their life, it will never be the same without him though. Even through smiles and later laughs, there will still be that emptiness in there that no one can really see until they have been through it. And one day, Some Great Day After While, they will be together again! And they, as the rest of us who have dealt with loss, will understand what is not meant to be understood down here.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
I love y'all!
To be continued..............

1 comment:

  1. Loss is truly difficult, but a part of life. We are never really prepared for it. I too have lost loved ones and friends to cancer, it is a difficult thing to go through. But, it has to be so much harder when it is a child. I didn't know Jacob personally,just through others, but my heart goes out to his family.

    ReplyDelete