Wednesday, January 12, 2011

First time in eleven years!

So eleven years ago I had surgery to fix my GERD (Gastro-esophageal reflux disease) aka heartburn! It is called a Nissen Fundoplication. I was on the most medication you could be on and still had reflux so bad my esophagus burned like I had swallowed fire every day. It did not matter what I ate or drank or how much Maalox I drank in addition to the very expensive acid reducing medication that I was so thankful that my insurance paid for the most of it. Couldn't sleep very well for the reflux, even in the recliner. Had reflux standing up, which is unusual. Before surgery, I had to have many tests including a barium swallow which allows the esophagus to be watched while you swallow chalky stuff that they can watch in real time. I watched too and it was so weird to see me swallow the stuff down and watch it come back up at the same time even when standing. The insurance company could not say no to the surgery. A lot of times, in fact the most common way to perform this procedure is laparoscopic. And Dr. Terry tried to do just that but because of my previous gall bladder surgery he was unable to do that. I had adhesions (like scar tissue in my stomach area) that prevented him from being able to go through the scope. It would have hurt a lot less that way.


This is a diagram of the procedure

After surgery, I wish I had said no. It was the most painful procedure I had ever had. (2 c-sections, gall bladder and a few cysts on a couple of joints is all) But after recovery I was very glad I had the procedure until I got food poisoning. I have not been able to throw up since the surgery. As bad as I hate to throw up, I really wanted to then. Got it again the day before Christmas eve 2009. Still can't throw up.

Rick stayed with me and took care of me the first two nights. But then he needed to go back home because of the kids. They were too little to stay a week by them selves. And we didn't want to impose on Nana.

And I had not experienced any heartburn in all this time until tonight! I am so hoping that this is from the chili I had for supper (and I have had chili many, many times since with nothing like this!) and not that the reflux is returning! I can not go through that again! Well, at least I don't want to go through that again! Keep your fingers crossed that some Prevacid OTC will take care of it!

I miss Rick. Eleven more days to that one year anniversary. I dreamed about him again last night.

I would ask you to remember my friend Betty Rae and her husband and their family. They lost their granddaughter yesterday to cancer. And my friend from first grade Maria found out very recently her mom has cancer. Chemo starts this week. Please, please remember them in your prayers. And also, please pray for a cure for that awful disease that painfully takes our loved ones from us.

I will leave you with this:

1 Corinthians 13

1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.


James 5:16

Confess [your] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.


I love y'all!

To be continued...............

No comments:

Post a Comment