Thursday, November 25, 2010

It has been a good day, except missing one.......

So today was Thanksgiving Day. It was a very good day except I miss Rick. I guess I always will, especially this time of year. We met in the fall. We fell in love in the fall on a rainy night much like this one, except it was warm enough for us to take a long walk in the rain. You might think that is crazy, but that is what we did. Anyway, today was a good day filled with family. I was the first to arrive at my parents house. Then Jeffrey Ashley and Thomas came then the others filed in a few at a time. Pictured to the left is my niece Brittany and niece-in-law Ashley. They were watching mom and Thomas. He is so cute. Ashley has been around for I don't really know six or seven years counting when they were dating. They have been married maybe four or five years now. Ashley's mom and I went to high school together. We had several of the same classes all four years but especially the first two years. Marie's husband Gary (Ashley's dad) passed away about eighteen months ago from cancer. Little did we know Rick would be right behind him. The next picture is of Ashely and my nephew Jeffrey. I still remember when he was born. My first nephew. He had an imaginary friend when he was about three or four. Guess his name? Rick! Just after Rick met everyone on Thanksgiving of 1984, Jeffrey decided to claim him as his friend. It was so cute. Jeffrey was one of Rick's Pall Bearers.

Mom had all the usual Thanksgiving fixings today, turkey and dressing with gravy, ham, sweet potatoes, green beans, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, fried potatoes, baked beans, rolls, and numerous desserts. If anyone left hungry it was their own fault.

The cabinet was a find of Rick's. He found it at a sale back in the early 90's. His aunt Bonita used it in her kitchen for many years. She sent it home a couple of years ago. We made a place for it. I use the cubby for my cookbooks. I also keep a bowl of cooking implements sitting on the counter. I like it. I found the primitive tree at Kerr's this week, put a small string of clear lights on it and set it on the counter. I love it. It does not really have Christmas ornaments on it so I might leave it sitting there all year. I also placed the 2 white churches on top that we received when Rick passed away.

I hope each and everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that each one of us stops every day to offer thanks to the One above who makes each day possible. If I could list everything I was thankful for each day, I would never be able to stop writing.

1 Chronicles 29:11-11Ch 29:11 Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all. 12 Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all. 13 Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name.
1 Thessalonians 5:18
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
I love you all.

To be continued.............

No comments:

Post a Comment