Sunday, November 28, 2010

Christmas 2010 is coming!!

We started decorating for Christmas today. I love the Christmas season. I always have. I can remember as a child lying awake waiting for Santa, trying to catch a glimpse and figure out how Santa could climb down our chimney and get out of the stove without getting burned. Oh, the anticipation! Never have figured that out to this day LOL! ;D

I love putting up the tree, finding all the ornaments and remembering what each one if for. I have one tree that I leave up all year, usually decorated with primitive ornaments that are good all year but during this season, I remove them and place my Hallmark collection of Mary's Angels on the tree. The first I think was either 1987 or 1988. We were living in Massachusetts when I first started collecting them. One year I had to drive to Glasgow to get it and one year I had to go to Rivergate to get one. But I have them all! I usually get one for my friend Norma too. She has several of them. They are the cutest things.

My "main" tree has all my Precious Moments ornaments and ornaments that friends and family have given me over the years as well as ornaments marking the kids first five Christmases. Now I also have ornaments marking my grandbabies Christmas milestones. I use clear lights on my tree. I used to use only blue, then one year I used only red, a couple of years I used multicolor lights, but I have to say clear is my favorite. I also love my tree, it is a pine tree I bought at Kerr's years ago. I bought that tree even before I started liking the 'primitive' look and it is that for sure! I get made fun of by Val, she does not think it looks like a real tree. I told her she could have her own tree the way she wants it, and I will have mine my way.

In my kitchen I have an old hoosier cabinet. I have always decorated it with gingerbread ornaments. This year, I found a small 'primitive' tree and placed a small strand of clear lights on it and a couple of gingerbread ornaments on it. I also have some other Christmas decorations on it. I really like it. I also have Christmas themed kitchen towels, table cloths, plates and cups that I like to use during this season. I have some with snowmen, Santas, and others with a primitive theme that are still for this season. I used to wait until the first day of December to put up my tree, Rick always dreaded when I put up the tree and always wanted it up and down as quickly as possible. I just love sitting in the living room with the lights out just looking at the tree in its splendor.

This year however we will be missing one. This is our first Christmas without Rick. I am not sure how we will actually deal with it, but we have done OK through Thanksgiving and his birthday. Though it is difficult to see, Hallmark has done it again, they have an ornament to commemorate the loss of someone special during the year. I got one for me and both kids, it has a pearl in an oyster shell and has the date and says "Every life leaves something behind" and if you are reading this and you knew Rick, you knew he did leave something behind. And I don't have to tell you what it was, and if you didn't know him and you have been reading this blog, you will already know what he left behind. I love y'all. I hope each and everyone has a blessed week ahead. I have placed the Christmas story from the Gospel of St. Luke. Please remember the reason for the season!
St Luke Chapter 2
1And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed.

2(And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)

3And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.

4And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)

5To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

6And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.

7And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

8And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

9And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

10And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

11For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

12And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

13And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

14Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

15And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.

16And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.

17And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child.

18And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.

19But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.

20And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.



I love y'all
To be continued..................

No comments:

Post a Comment