Monday, May 6, 2013

Happy Nurses Day!

Today is May 6. This is a day someone set aside to recognize nurses for the contribution we make. Then someone decided to make "Nurses Week" which begins on Nurses Day (May 6) and ends on May 12 which is also the birthday of the founder of "modern nursing" Florence Nightingale. At our capping ceremony and at graduation from LPN then RN school and at various celebrations over my 36 years in nursing (including student nurse years) I have recited the following pledge. I said it from my heart and I meant every word:

"I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly, to pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully. I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug. I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling. With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician in his work, and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care."

Some of that pledge is now considered "old fashioned" and that's what I am - "old fashioned"! Even back then Florence thought of nursing as a profession. We are not waitresses or 'hand maids' - we are nurses and we take care of our patients 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We are cussed at, yelled at, talked to like we are dogs sometimes and yet we come back for more. But it's not all bad because there are many more over the years who smile through their pain and say thank you for helping me. I have had my hands (gloved of course now days) in places you couldn't even imagine unless you're one of us. Every time I go into a room ('my' room or not) I am assessing that patient for pain, stability of vital signs, IV sites, breathing patterns, and the family for understanding. EVERY TIME!! And there are rules for a reason and when we ask you not to bring your small child or baby into critical care, it's not to be mean or bossy or 'control' its for the safety of your child!! Critical care can be a scary place and babies don't need nightmare images of someone they love hooked up to scary machines! And they don't need to catch C. Diff!! or VRE or MRSA! Or some other big bad bug that's resistant to medication!! Yes, hospitals are supposed to be clean. Someone is always cleaning. But people are sick when they are in the hospital and we can't control who washes their hands and what they touch!!

Today is also the second birthday of my youngest grandchild, Miss Olivia Rhea Sullivan. And let me tell you, Miss Livvy is certainly her mothers daughter! Gamma loves you Livvy!

I love all y'all!!❤
To be continued....






No comments:

Post a Comment