Monday, May 21, 2012

18 years!

I find it difficult to believe in some ways that I have lived in Wingfield for 18 years! I remember when Rick first brought me to Wingfield. We had not been married very long, we drove all the way down by the lock. Coming back, we stopped near his brothers in-law's place to check for bait. When we were coming back through, we stopped at a little store on the corner of Cline Road and Wingfield Church Road. Didn't know at the time it was Keith's store and didn't know at the time that in about 8 years I would be living near there. In December 1991 we bought the "Clifford Miller estate" at an auction. We had already bought the land where I had grown up and I was looking forward to living on my old home place again. I was upset that he had bought this land. He did it without really discussing it with me. He kept telling me we would build our house on the Stockholm place. I didn't expect it. It wasn't feasible to build there with us both working in Tennessee. That would add another hour onto our commute.

Rick started working to clean up the property. He had it looking good, Carlos decided to grow acres and acres of garden on the land. He had the whole field where Chris and Megan's house is in corn. Out behind the little white house up to the upper side of where our garden was was in potatoes. He had tomatoes and watermelons too. Nick was a little fella and helped his papaw hoe the corn. Carlos never said a word about how many stalks of corn he cut down.

Over the next couple years we would meet folks who are now our best friends.  Family would ask me when we were going to start to build our house. I would say I didn't know yet, and tell them it would be at Stockholm. They would shake their head and say Wingfield. I would ask Rick and he would tell me I promised you where it would be and that is where it will be.

In January 1994, we decided when school was out in May we would move to Wingfield and start building our house. We looked and looked for house plans. Late 1993 or early 1994 I brought up the subject of the house and that we should sell the Stockholm place because I knew where he would build the house. He said we could keep both farms. That didn't make sense to me at all.  Then Nelson approached us about buying some acreage for the cemetery and that a couple I knew had asked him to ask us to sell the whole place. We discussed it and we sold it.

Mid-late May 1994 we packed up and moved to Gary's house where Rick's grandparents (Wilson's) had lived. The building started and the rest is history. There are many stories about building that house. Pretty boy's nickname and many other stories came from that time frame.

I think this is all for tonight. It has been fun going down memory lane.
Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." (KJV)
I love all y'all
To be continued...............

No comments:

Post a Comment