Sunday, May 29, 2011

May 29, 2011 has been a very good day!




Good Springs United Baptist Church


(Jer 6:16 KJV)
Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
Keith preached from this scripture today. He said some things I need to heed. I will do my best to take what he said and put it into my life. We will see what happens. It was a great day!

The picture above is a pencil drawing by Thomas M. G-------- (can't read his last name) of Good Springs United Baptist Church. This is where I chose to go today. Wonderful service! This is still the same building, chimney in the middle of the room, there is a "presence" of the old saints who used to go there as soon as you walk in. When Keith rang the bell, in my mind I could see 3 years ago when his papaw Roy rang that bell. I can not remember if he was there 2 years ago or not. I did not go last year. Ricks death was too close. He loved that place! And I still do. Good memories!

Since the May Rick was saved, we have been going to the Good Springs Homecoming service. I have had to miss a few because of work, but Rick went without me. I felt like I needed to honor him and go there today. He has family in that cemetery. Little Roy Sanders was Rick's dads cousin. Little Roy was Keith's grandfather. He was the pastor of Good Springs as long as he was able, then it was handed down to his grandson Keith. Keith was Rick's kin and he is my kin. His mother is my cousin. She is Uncle Lelan's daughter. Keith had 2 grandfathers who were good old time preachers. And he is continuing down that same path. Rick and Nick went to Good Springs a couple of years to help with the clean-up to get ready for the homecoming. This service is the only one they have all year. There is no electricity or running water there. It is the very same building they have always had.

The singing today was beautiful. They had several people singing all parts. It was heavenly! Wish you could have been there today!

In preaching today, I was reminded of an old man who used to go to Stockholm. His name was
Bill Whitlow. Bill was alone, came to church in his overalls, and had a speech problem. I have no idea what it was. He has a wagon and 2 mules and he drove that wagon around the community. I remember the churches taking up money and building him a little house. I remember not being able to understand much of what he said, but when he was in the spirit of the Lord, it was plainly understood. He was a good old saint!

There was so much food today. It was a good day. I love days like this. Rick would have enjoyed the day
!

I love y'all.
To be continued.............

No comments:

Post a Comment