Thursday, January 23, 2014

Precious Memories

Today is the 4th anniversary of Ricks last hours at home. I believe he knew how sick he was. I believe he knew it was his last day here and if he went to the hospital, he wouldn't come back here. He made me leave him here alone and go pay the balance he owed on his cemetery plot. I had to beg him to go to the hospital that morning. He couldn't eat or drink. He let me take him to the Dr. Doc said pneumonia and gave him antibiotics. It was all I could do to get him back in the house. He was so short if breath. He got the pills down but got choked on the water. 

I was a first responder at the time. I got him to let me put oxygen on him. It helped only slightly.

His sister Debbie came by. She stayed with him about an hour. He enjoyed her visit. 

He wanted to go to the bathroom. He didn't have the strength to stand with my help let alone walk. But he refused to go to the ER. My little oxygen tank was almost gone. I begged him to let me take him to ER. Finally he agreed. I couldn't get him standing. He refused an ambulance for a while longer then he agreed. I called 911 and requested the ambulance for shortness if breath. It wasn't long until the house and yard was full of folks coming to help. Petie, Hank and another that for the life if me I can't remember came. His oxygen saturation was 50's. Remember, he'd been on oxygen several hours by now. Robbie had changed him to 100% oxygen before EMS arrived. Saturation should have been way over 90. Hank and Petie put him in the ambulance, I was not far behind them. They turned on the lights and siren. My heart sank. I cried and prayed all the way to the hospital. That same still, small voice spoke to my heart yet again with "trust Me!" just as it had been doing since late November. His blood gas was horrible. He was not oxygenating well at all. He was admitted to the ICU. He was awake and alert and just trying to breathe. He made me promise him when "hope" for recovery was gone I would not let him linger. I didn't leave him for 2 days and nights. 

Late that night tests were done and very large blood clots were found in both legs. Not good news!  He was started on thinners. Due to his blood cell problems, that was very difficult to manage. Not good. On Sunday they placed a filter to prevent more clots from reaching his lungs. Even that didn't work well. Lung Dr showed me his chest X-ray from that morning. Pretty much whited out. Not good either. Still, I kept hearing "trust Me!" 

The family and friends who visited the hospital or just kept us in their prayers meant so very much!! 

I love all y'all! ❤️
To be continued.....
Rick holding his pride and joy! October was Papaws girl for sure! You wouldn't know from this picture around a year was all he had left!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment