Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Saying Goodbye to a Generation


Today my dad and I said goodbye to Aunt Mary. She was my grandmothers youngest sister. The baby of that family. Her parents were my great grandparents. Aunt Mary was a schoolteacher like 2 of her sisters and one of her brothers. Uncle Charles (her husband) has been gone for many years. I remember when he died, I just don't remember how long that it has been. I'd venture to say over 40 years though. She never remarried. They had 2 children, a son, John David Bowles, and a daughter Nancy Withers. John David and Nancy are a little older than me, but not by a lot. I hadn't seen them in quite some time. Aunt Mary was just 8 1/2 years older than my dad. Ma and Pa Bird had 6 kids, 4 girls and 2 boys. They were in sets of 3. Mammaw James was 13 years old when Aunt Norma Lee was born. Norma was number 4. Each set had 2 girls and a boy with the boy in the middle. I can remember the Bird Homecomings first at Mammoth Cave then at Capitol Hill. The last 20 or so years there have only been 2 or 3, and they were at the community center in Brownsville. The Stices also came to that homecoming. Ma Bird was a Stice. "Billy Hill" near Green River at Houchens Ferry was named after her father, Billy Stice. 

I remember Aunt Mary coming to visit many times as I was growing up. She and my dad were a lot like siblings rather than Aunt/nephew being only 8 years apart. He used to tease her about her age.  One time, my dad had lost his wedding band fishing somewhere in hart county. A hart county fisherman had found it and placed an ad in the local paper there listing the inscription inside the ring. Uncle Charles saw the ad, had her call and it was his ring! They retrieved it for him and we rode up to Munfordville to pick it up. 


This picture belongs to my cousin Jo Ann Collins. I know she won't mind that I used it. She reads this blog sometimes as does her sister Linda. Aunt Norma Lee and Aunt Mary. Aunt Mary is on the right. Not sure when this was taken. They were both at the funeral home when Ricky passed away. He had met both of them several times over our 25 years together. Both are gone now. I will miss them.

Hold your loved ones close. You never know when the pale horseman will ride by.  

Psalm 116King James Version (KJV)116 I love the Lord, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.Then called I upon the name of the Lord; O Lord, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful.The Lord preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me.Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee.For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.I will walk before the Lord in the land of the living.10 I believed, therefore have I spoken: I was greatly afflicted:11 I said in my haste, All men are liars.12 What shall I render unto the Lord for all his benefits toward me?13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord.14 I will pay my vows unto the Lord now in the presence of all his people.15 Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.16 Lord, truly I am thy servant; I am thy servant, and the son of thine handmaid: thou hast loosed my bonds.17 I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the Lord.18 I will pay my vows unto the Lord now in the presence of all his people.19 In the courts of the Lord's house, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Praise ye the Lord.
The preacher read this today. He stressed upon verse 15. It is precious to be witness to the final minutes and passing from life unto eternal life. It truly is. 

That is all for now. 

I love all y'all. ❤️
To be continued........

No comments:

Post a Comment